Strong resilient communities
Working with the community and a range of organisations to identify assets and needs, developing a targeted, preventative place-based approach with local communities that considers the long term and empowering local people to lead and develop their local community.
Intervention Lead: Chief Supt Ian Roberts (Gwent Police)
Intervention Lead: Nicola Prygodzicz (Aneurin Bevan University Health Board)
Partnership Team Support: Huw Williams (NCC) / Caroline James (NCC)
What steps will we take?
Short term (0-5 years)
- Build on the positive work already undertaken in the Pillgwenlly area and work with local people to:
- Identify resources and needs within that community. Aspects to consider will include community strengths and assets, cohesion and engagement, health, well-being, employment, skills, environment, safety, appropriate housing, arts, heritage, sports and Welsh language
- Develop and implement an action plan with a preventative focus that is owned by both the PSB and the community
- Extend the above targeted approach to other communities using information provided in the Community Well-being Profiles and engagement activities to identify areas of work
- Develop and promote an overarching volunteering programme for Newport to enable people to volunteer and foster community resilience
- Develop multi-agency community hubs at key locations around Newport to support local service provision
- Develop a framework to support community groups re: governance and funding.
- Development of an asset plan and process that enables joint delivery of services and empowers communities to find their own solutions
- Strengthen communities by using the resources within the University of South Wales Early Years and Social Care Team, the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Hub and other key partners to develop preventative approaches to ACEs and early years development.
Medium term (5-10 years)
- Nurture a preventative culture that develops a relationship between public services and local people that enables shared decision making, genuine co-production, social enterprise and joint deliveryof services. With empowered communities finding their own preventative solutions for the problems and issues they face
- Continue to review the latest statistical and engagement information and work with local people to ensure community plans are updated for now and the future
Long term (10-25 years)
- Continue to promote a preventative culture that develops a relationship between public services and local people that enables shared decision making, genuine coproduction, social enterprise and joint delivery of services, with empowered communities finding their own preventative solutions for the problems and issues they face
The reporting dashboard developed for this intervention at quarter 3 (2018-19) can be accessed via the performance reporting page.